For Adolf Luther light was a tremendous reality; the basis for his work was his conviction of an immaterial, invisible reality to light, which he viewed as polar to the material world.
His Light Sluices (1962), Optogons and Concave Mirror Objects (beginning 1964), Spherical Concave Mirror Objects (beginning 1969), his installations Focussing Room and Laser Room (1970), the Moon Project (1976) , and the large architectural Integrations from the 1970s onward, all map out the individual phases in Adolf Luther’s Light Art.
The exhibition Luther at the Düsseldorfer Kunsthalle in 1974 demonstrated for the first time that his works were preceded by developments in painting over a period lasting almost two decades.
Luther, who was self-taught in the field of art, experimented with the key systems of representation in twentieth century art, with the aim of arriving at new forms of pictures over and beyond the traditional panel painting.
Adolf Luther Foundation
was set up in 1989 by the Krefeld light and object artist Adolf Luther (1912- 1990) and in 1990 accredited by the State of North Rhine-Westfalia as a non-profit organisation founded under private law.