Home

Light, Space, Movement

Adolf Luther

* 25 April 1912 in Uerdingen; 
† 20 September 1990 in Krefeld

Adolf Luther was a leading representative of the post-war avant-garde in the field o concep­tual Light Art and participated in the major exhibitions in on Kine­tic Art, Zero, Op Art, as well as in exhibitions on archi­tecture and space. His works can be found in numerous museums and public collections.

News

Archive (German Only)

ZERO

Museum of Old and New Art | Hobart | Tasmanien | 09.06.2018-22.04.2019

First ZERO exhibition in Austra­lia with Heinz Mack, Otto Piene, Lucio Fontana, Yves Klein, Henk Peeters, Nanda Vigo, Adolf Luther, Enrico Castel­lani, Jesús Rafael Soto, Gianni Colombo, Grazia Varisco, Chris­tian Megert.

Further Informations

Space for Art

Die Studiogalerie der Goethe-Universität Frankfurt 1964-1968

Museum Giersch | Frankfurt a. M. | 18.03. - 08.07.2018

With Adolf Luther, Victor Vasarely, Rupprecht Geiger, Arman, Donald Judd, Jan Schoonhoven, Frank Stella, Thomas Lenk and others.

From 1964 to 1968, the General Students‘ Committee (AStA) of the Frankfurt Goehte University ran a gallery in the student building on the Bockenheim campus. Called the „Studiogalerie“, this establishment introduced the international avant-garde in art shows and events. The programme mirrored the latest trends in progressive, experimental art. Concrete Art, New Realism and Op Art, works of Hard-Edge and Colour Painting, but also Fluxus concerts of as the students‘ contribution to the democratization of art and society.

Founded in 1964 with a spirit of optimism – the belief in art as a means of changing its activities in 1968 within the context of the increasing radicalization of the student body. „Space for Art“ retraces the history of the Studiogalerie. A 1967 show entitled „Serielle Formationen“ is considered one of the highlights of that student initiative. It was the first ever to unite art by exponents of American Minimal Art, for example Donald Judd, Frank Stella and Sol LeWitt, with works by artists of the European avant-garde such as Jan Henderikse, Adolf Luther, Peter Roehr and Jan Schoonhoven. Cooperation with the Daimler Art Collection show in its essence.

The exhibition on the Studiogalerie is the Museum Giersch’s art-historical contribution to „50 Jahre 68“, a Goethe University project commemorating the epoch-making year 1968 with numerous events.

Further informations

Adolf Luther

Work & Collection

Von Bartha | Basel | 02.09. - 21.10.2017

Adolf Luther (1912 – 1990, Krefeld, Germany) was a German artist known for his installations that used mirrors, glass, lenses, and lasers to capture light and movement. Associated with Kinetic art as well as ZERO, Luther sought to make a new reality visible, lying beyond the boundaries of perception. His work has been included in seminal exhibitions including ZERO: Coundown to Tomorrow, 1950s – 60s at Guggenheim New York (2014).

Further Informations

Adolf Luther and His Collection

An art far beyond the image…

Apart from Adolf Luther’s œuvre, the Foundation keeps a collection of works from among others the Düsseldorf Zero artists and the Nouveaux Réalistes. A further focus is directed to Geometrical Abstraction from the 1920s and 1930s.

The Foundation's Mission

The aims and task of the foundation consist in promoting and supporting research into the intellectual foundations of Concrete Art since the early 1950s, the portrayal and further development of the city of Krefeld as a major focus in Concrete Art, and the upkeep of the founder’s artistic oeuvre and his collection.

Partner

  • Kunstmuseen Krefeld
  • Bundesverband Deutscher Stiftungen
  • Sculpture Network
  • Krefelder Kulturrat

Adolf Luther Foundation

was set up in 1989 by the Krefeld light and object artist Adolf Luther (1912- 1990) and in 1990 accredited by the State of North Rhine-Westfalia as a non-profit organisation founded under private law.

Address

Adolf-Luther-Stiftung
Viktoriastraße 112
47799 Krefeld
Germany

Email

info@adolf-luther-stiftung.com

Telephone

+49 (2151) 27 91 3